Friday, March 4, 2011

So Many Worksheets

My life is filled with worksheets.  Some are good, some are bad.  Some are never-ending and some don't take any time at all.  Some involve coloring and diagramming while others are pure text.  Some are all fun and games, some require the use of a textbook, some are almost like a test.  No matter what, I end up handing out a worksheet almost every day.  It's no wonder we're losing so much forest to paper mills!

Today's worksheets, for 7th grade science, were the kind that require the student to find the answers in the textbook.  Which of course means that instead of reading the whole chapter through they go through and try to find the answers.  I am now convinced that this method takes a lot longer than simply reading the chapter first.  I cannot tell you how many times a kid asked about a question from the book and all I did was simply point to the paragraph.  "But where is the answer?"  "In this paragraph, read the whole thing (in my head: you dummy!)"

The students were quite pleasant today, which is shocking considering it's Friday.  The only problems I had occurred after lunch.  I had a group of kids for double block today, meaning I saw them for the second time in the afternoon right after lunch.  I basically was traffic control for a parade to the bathroom and they really didn't do much even though they were supposed to be answering questions on a worksheet.

Right after that I was asked to fill in for a computer teacher who had to go home early.  So I didn't get my two free periods that I normally have, which sort of sucked.  The kids were pretty zonked at this point and weren't very interested in acting like human beings.  Lots of odd noises were emitted and lots of moving from computer to computer.  They weren't even doing computer work - they were doing a word search.  I left the teacher a note saying how crazy they were.

I also encountered another rude teacher today.  My neighbor was pretty horrible.  Not only did she look like a mess (really overweight, ugly plaid button down, ugliest shoes ever, not-pretty gray hair that was quite disheveled) but she yelled and shouted and berated the students all day.  At the end of the day I was coming back from my stint with the computer class to take care of my homeroom and she yells at me to pass out some green papers, as if I was supposed to know about that.  I was a little offended.  I think her general tone and demeanor are just offending and she may not have meant to be rude, but she was.  Nevertheless I had a good day and I'm glad it's Friday.  Now on to a lovely weekend of hopefully 45 degree weather!

No comments:

Post a Comment