Monday, March 14, 2011

A Name For Myself

This post will be short since I was in the same classroom as Friday and the kids were equally good, if not better, today.  I was really bored most of the day because they were just sitting and doing their work - I barely had to do anything at all!

As it turns out the teachers seem to really like me in this particular 8th grade hallway and I guess I was requested to return to the classroom.  It's a nice compliment and I'm glad I can do a good job.  When days go well I always end up thinking I could teach full time but then I'll get a bad group of kids and be reminded why I probably won't teach.  Not to mention the fact that someone would have to hire me without any formal education courses in my background.

Even if I don't teach, I'm still getting a lot out of the job.  Ultimately I think subbing gives me a really good sense for child/adult management.  I typically work with a new group of kids each day that range in age from five to fourteen.  I also work with different groups of teachers and aides every day.  I'm getting really good at introducing myself, choosing the best strategy to work with the adults and students, and nipping problems in the bud.  I'm at ease working with brand new people and have not a care in the world about standing up in front of a group of people and talking (and being wrong too!).

No comments:

Post a Comment