Wednesday, March 9, 2011

7:38 a.m.

I figure once it gets past 6:30 am I'm not getting called.  So this morning I hadn't been called and fell back asleep, feeling sad that I didn't get work two days in a row.  Then, as I'm drifting off into deep sleep my phone rings.  At 7:38am.  And someone has just called in to the middle school so I'm off.  I had to shower and get ready quick and try to be there as soon as possible.

This particular school is so annoying - they just say the teacher's name, not what that person teaches, and today I only got a room number.  It was a support classroom for 6th graders and the aide hadn't arrived at school yet even though it was 8:45am.  This did not start the day off well for the kids.  They definitely thought they were getting off easy - no one knew there was no teacher in the room for a while.

So the students were already revved up thinking they'd have no teacher.  Then I arrive and try to get them to do some work, even though the teacher didn't leave any plans.  This threw them off their game and I almost got them to do some work at which point the aide arrived.  This caused a ruckus as they all greeted her.  She took over the class at this point and I felt relegated to "shushing duty".

I usually like it when the aide takes control of the room because she knows the kids and knows what kind of work needs to be done.  Especially on a day like today when the teacher is unexpectedly out and leaves no plans.  But today I felt ignored and slightly disrespected.  I'm not totally sure why, but I did.

Thankfully it was a half day so I arrived at 8:45am and left at 12pm.  A very short day but thank goodness I got some work.

No comments:

Post a Comment