Thursday, January 6, 2011

The High School Experience

I'm being constantly chastised for not continuing to blog.  Who knew I could be so popular?  So I'm doing everyone a favor and writing an update on my long term position.

So, my first two weeks were the last two weeks before winter break.  The kids were pretty sad about losing their teacher and not ready to have a substitute.  Unfortunately for me (and for them) I can't be the really cool substitute who is really lax about stuff.  That sets the wrong tone because things only relax from the starting point.  If I started low on the strictness scale, I'd be screwed later on.  So of course they weren't happy when I had rules and regulations.  The kids who were bound to hate me definitely hate me at this point.  However, the majority of my students are just fine with me in the classroom.

Second period is extremely quiet.  They are clearly still asleep and glide through class periods, no questions or comments about the material.  There is a group of four sitting in the front right who do not do a thing.  The two boys in the front row are smart kids, they get stuff right on tests and quizzes, but they won't do a thing in class unless I remind them to keep working every minute.  The boy and girl behind them are flying just below the level of disrespect.  They don't do a thing and keep up a running conversation that never has anything to do with biology.  They don't do classwork and don't do well on the tests.  The boy can be particularly rude.

Third period bounces into the classroom all smiles.  They are a wonderful class as far as attitude.  One boy has a million questions but I think he helps the rest of the class by having the guts to ask them.  He's clearly respected by his peers so he gets them all thinking about the material every time he asks a question.  There are some chatting issues but I quelled them with seat changes.  As long as I keep reminding them this class tends to get things done.

Fourth period is surly.  They are not into biology, or school.  They don't want to be in class and make that clear every day.  There are a few nice kids who are interested and get good grades but mostly these kids have a bad attitude.  I have to remind them over and over to keep working because they fall into conversation much too easily.  I wish they'd be more cheerful, because they wear me out.

I do not enjoy sixth period.  I have freshman physics and they are out of control.  They continue to talk no matter my anger level.  I've tried every method I can think of to get them paying attention.  I talk and they keep talking.  I hate the disrespect and I'm exhausted by the end of class just trying to keep myself in control.  One girl in particular, G, drives me up the wall with her attitude.  This is a classic G stunt: everyone has to be sitting in their assigned seats to leave class.  G kneels in her chair, she doesn't sit.  The bell rings.  Everyone tries to get up but I say, "Nope, not everyone is sitting".  All the kids look around and I look right at G.  She says, "I am sitting!".  I say, "No, you're kneeling.  No one can leave until everyone in the room sits in their assigned seat."  She continues to argue, I continue to say "sit".  She finally says, "Oh my God, this is ridiculous" in the most exasperated tone she can muster and sits down.  The class leaves.

My other problem child is L.  L really wants to keep playing for the basketball team but isn't getting a high enough grade.  I'm willing to work it out with him so I told him to meet me after school to talk about it and he said okay.  He didn't show.  I figure, if he doesn't care enough to show up then he doesn't need me to figure out a passing grade for him.

Every day is a constant battle with some kids and my patience is gone.  So far I haven't really snapped but I'm going to one day and it will be bad.

Thank goodness there are nice kids in each class!

No comments:

Post a Comment