Tuesday, December 14, 2010

High Schoolers

So it's been two days and nothing terrible has happened.  My students are fairly respectful and appear to be understanding some of the material.  The other teachers are extremely friendly and helpful.  Overall I think this long term thing will be okay.

My second period students aren't awake yet.  They haven't smiled much and are very quiet, with the exception of three guys and a gal who sit in the right corner of the room.  So far they've talked through each class with only small pauses here and there (mostly occurring when I'm hovering near them).  I can tell that one gentleman in particular is going to push the envelope.

Third period bounces in with big smiles and so far has proven to stay on task.  They talk a lot but 80% of it is about the lesson.  They're outgoing and friendly and I love them.

Fourth period is surly.  They clearly wish to be somewhere else.  A particular female in the front b*tched about the assigned reading and worksheet the entire class period, just loud enough for me to hear.  None of them smile much and most of them have a slight attitude when they ask questions.

Sixth period is my young group and they have a lot to say to each other, 90% of which is not about school work.  The teacher didn't leave work to fill the period and I'm going to have to come up with something to keep them busy.  Both today and yesterday they had 10 minutes with nothing to do, having completed the homework already.  They walked around, talked, laughed, and even arm wrestled.  I'll need to solve that problem somehow.

So far I've managed to follow the teacher's outlines and add my own lecture to the classes.  There are upcoming quizzes and tests and I need to make sure the kids are taking in what I'm teaching.  I'm a little worried that they're just not understanding me, especially after I read the homework and everyone has gotten at least 50% of the questions wrong.  In class they appear to understand but they take it home and lose everything.

I just need get through to winter break and take a breather.  The work on the other side of the break is going to be harder for me so I'll need time to prepare.

No comments:

Post a Comment