Tuesday, December 7, 2010

I Love Computer Class

Were you worried yesterday?  My illness from Friday was still going full force (I didn't sleep at all Sunday night) so I called in and hoped my condition would improve.  It did, albeit slowly.  I still don't have much of a voice and have to blow my nose every 10 minutes (too much information?).  I played the sympathy card with the kids today and it may have worked!

I was thrilled to be assigned a computer teacher's position at an elementary school.  I think it's one of the easiest positions to sub for: kids only come through for 45 minutes, kids don't know terribly much about computers yet, the day often ends early since kids spend the last 15 minutes with their home teacher.  Even better, this particular computer teacher didn't have a first class come through until 9:40am!

As the kids came through the teachers all gave them a good "stern face" and told them to behave for me.  I really like teachers that are aware of the difficulty of my position.  It makes me feel better about listing the troublemakers when the teacher returns to pick up the kids..  Today the classes drew bears using a cooler version of Microsoft Paint.  It was fun, actually, to see what they created.  Plus, they enjoyed making their bear drawings.  The only trouble I had was regulating my "no internet" rule.  They all want to play games on Yahoo or Disney Channel or Cartoon Network but I never know what is and isn't appropriate for them in school so I banish them from any internet games.  Better to be safe.

I couldn't speak loudly and told each class that I had lost my voice.  I explained that it hurt me to shout and so they should remain calm and quiet so I could give them directions and help.  I actually think the kids cared - one little boy even told me he felt sorry for me.  Not sure I wanted pity, but it was cute coming from a first grader.

I just hope I sleep through the night and finally feel better tomorrow.  My illness hasn't changed much in the past few days and it has dragged on far too long.

1 comment:

  1. You should really get them graphing in MSPaint. They could then learn "computers" as well as "maths" at the same time! You could then send me the hilarious graphs to post on Fridays. Everyone wins!

    ReplyDelete