Monday, January 17, 2011

Last Day

My last day as a high school science teacher was Friday.  I can say with 99% certainty that full-time teaching is not for me.  I could do it if all of the kids were motivated.  The kids who don't care bring me down every day.  I can't "love them all", as they say.

Anyway, the teacher was with me for the last day (actually, I was with the teacher).  She was so happy to have me there because she knows they are all going to complain loudly that I was terrible, blah blah blah, and she didn't want to deal with that just yet.  So the kids were happily surprised to see her and kept the complaints in their heads.

I went over all of the class details - who was a pain in the rear, who did well, who had a lot of absences, etc.  I caught her up on the material and how far we'd gotten.  She was happy to see my grade book and lesson plans nicely organized and ready for her to take over.  I love being organized :).  I had a nice last lunch with the other teachers.  They were all so nice and helpful, giving me tips on classroom management and how to deal with certain issues.  It was a nice four weeks of camaraderie and now I'm back to the daily (solitary) grind.

But wait!  I got an email this morning at 7:15am - the high school needs a long term substitute for a math teacher and they want me to sub in all week while they look for a person licensed in math!  So I get to stay at the lovely pay rate and short commute.

I'll be seeing y'all in math class!

No comments:

Post a Comment