Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Congruent Triangle?

I was contacted by the math and science department director at an obscenely early hour yesterday morning.  She wanted to know if I could be a math teacher for the week.  I said sure.

How hard could high school math be?  I definitely understand algebra.  Geometry, not so much, but it should be easy by now, right?  I remember thinking I'd be really good at geometry in high school and then finding it really difficult.  Today was even more difficult because I was thrown into the teaching position with almost no lesson plan.  Apparently whatever is going on with this teacher happened suddenly.  His lesson plan book is completely empty for the week with the exception of some problems for the algebra class and a geometry worksheet.  Going into a subbing position with no plan is highly dangerous and I was a little worried.

The day actually went pretty well.  The algebra kids are learning about inequalities - I've got that under control.  The geometry kids are doing proofs, triangles, things like that.  I don't really remember that stuff but at least I had a worksheet.  The department director told me not to use the worksheet and gave me problems for the kids (I'm not sure why she decided to overrule the actual teacher) and it turned out the kids had already completed those book problems.  Of course, 3rd and 4th period didn't tell me this.  In fact, they showed me the old problems they had already completed and since I thought they were doing their homework they got away with doing practically nothing for 30 minutes.  I didn't find out this little factoid until 5th period, and that was my last class.  I will definitely assign the first two periods more work for tomorrow and tell them why they're being "punished".  Little turds.

I can tell that I'm a much better biology teacher.  I have a lot more background knowledge and I can explain things much better.  I know how to do math problems but I can't explain how to do them or why to do them in certain ways.  You just solve for x, right?  I can't tell you why.

As an aside, why the heck are all high school girls obsessed with Victoria's Secret?  I've never seen any other age group wear so much VS!  They all have giant tote bags with PINK or SECRET or GLAM written on the sides.  At least one girl in every class, every day, is wearing a sweatshirt or t-shirt that says LOVE PINK or VICTORIA'S SECRET.  I've seen way too many skinny butts with PINK written on them.  The obsession is a little too much for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment