Monday, January 24, 2011

Parallelograms

As it turns out, I'll be subbing for the math teacher all week.  It's a little scary, but I found out today that they found a math certified sub who is willing to take over the class in the near future.  It seems like the original teacher will be out for the rest of the year, but the administration is so vague it's hard to tell.  Even though I'll be done subbing for this particular math teacher on Friday (or so it seems), I will be doing a week-long position for a different high school math teacher all of next week.

This teacher's classes are really pleasant to sub for.  I even got to joke around in class today (the kids were making fun of me for not seeing the new Mean Girls movie and I told them I didn't have cable TV - they were apalled).  They work when asked, and work individually without talking when asked.  It's really amazing!  As compared to my standard level kids in biology, these honors level kids are much more respectful.  I even have some of the kids from my old biology classes in these math classes and they are so much nicer!

We started parallelograms today, which was actually an easy topic for me.  Whereas, in algebra we did compound inequalities (-3 < 4x -1 < 6) and I really don't think I did a great job explaining it.  This is the hard part about teaching math for me - I can't explain it well.  I just know how to do the problems, not how to explain them.

Overall I'm happy I keep getting hired for long-term positions even if they aren't in my favorite subjects.  I have to apologize if this isn't the most well-written blog post ever - I'm watching a movie at the moment :).

No comments:

Post a Comment