Monday, April 4, 2011

Thank Goodness for Third Grade

I was on the verge of calling in sick, if you can believe it.  I got very little sleep and woke up nauseous.  Sadly I had already taken the call from the coordinator without realizing my nausea, so instead of calling back I decided to suck it up and get to work.

Thankfully I had a relatively easy third grade class.  I was amazed at the level of quiet in the room as compared to last week's first grade.  Especially in the morning, when they all seemed to understand that they had to take care of their work.  Most of the kids worked diligently and finished as quickly as possible.  Up until lunch time they did well with the worksheets and math problems.

Unfortunately it was raining so we had indoor recess.  This meant that a small amount of havoc occurred after lunch but I felt like the kids needed a break so I let them go a little crazy.  It was hard to pull them back to reality.  They were pretty distracted after lunch and we didn't get through everything the teacher had laid out for the day.  That said, I think they did plenty of work today (I swear there were 10 different worksheets).

I realized while playing multiplication bingo that I had prizes with me so I decided to hand them out to the winners.  It's so hard to give kids prizes because everyone wants one and when it's a game of "luck" they all freak out and complain about how unfair the game was.  It's a stupid plastic animal, come on!  But I know we all used to be like that and I complain when I don't win raffles even now.  So I guess it's understandable.

No comments:

Post a Comment