Friday, April 8, 2011

Oh, Friday.

Oh, Friday, what a crazy day you are.  You induce extreme ADHD symptoms in even the most calm of students.  I say this even though I really didn't have a bad day.  But it is a true fact and it is annoying for all who teach.

I had sixth graders today, in a science classroom.  It was the nicest classroom I've ever been in!  I think the ceiling was about two stories tall with big windows on each end.  It must be a very specific part of the building that I've never been in - I didn't even notice that architecture from the outside.  Anyway, I had pretty good kids and I did have an aide for two periods.  They were rowdy but their assignment was to keep working on building little cars out of cardboard and tape.  Assignments like that are difficult for subs because the kids can get away with a lot of stuff.  Groups wanted to test their cars in the hall, asked for materials a lot, and generally goofed around while I wasn't watching.  No one got hurt and most finished their cars so my day was successful in that sense.

I also had to fill in for a seventh grade teacher for the last period of the day.  These are the kids I had long-term a few weeks ago and they remembered me.  It was not a good group of them, though, and they were super loud and rambunctious.  It took all I had to remain calm and keep them doing something other than attacking each other.  The teacher hadn't left much work at all so I allowed them to play games if-and-only-if they finished the worksheet.  I was afraid a teacher was going to come in and yell at me, that's how loud these students were.  But thankfully the bell rang and they all went home.  Happy weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment