Thursday, April 7, 2011

Compliments

Young kids give the best compliments!  But I'll get into that later.  Today I had fifth grade and the kids were great.

It was a prime example of a hallway where the teachers expect too much (in my humble opinion).  It was nice of them to check in but they were really worried about the behavior of the kids and if they were doing well for me.  They were fine.  The teacher had left a note pointing out three of the students and listing what their normal problem behaviors are and how to deal with them.  That was really awesome and I knew what I was dealing with right away.  The three listed "problem students" didn't even misbehave today.  They were a bit loud at times but no pushing, no swear words, and no lack of work ethic.

I'm not sure if all of the other teachers were having a bad day or what but they had a harassed look about them and seemed really annoyed with the fifth graders at all times.  They yelled at them in the hallway and I think would have been appalled at the noise level in my classroom.  I thought everything was fine, although I understand that being distracting in the hallway is annoying for other classrooms.

Overall I didn't have to reprimand anyone and the only reminder was to "quiet down".  Not out of the ordinary.

Now on to the compliments!  I have gotten some great compliments from the younger students in the past, and for some reason they are always about my hair.  I really don't think my hair is anything special.  It used to be nice and blond but has retreated to a boring brownish color in the last 10 years.  The kids always say how beautiful my hair is and I revel in the compliment!  The other compliment I got today was about my boots, which I agree are quite nice.  I'm glad these kids have no filter and just say nice things because I think as adults we don't speak up when we have positive things to say.  I've been trying to do that lately, for example: complimenting someone with a beautiful yard as I walk by or telling a woman on the bus that I like her dress.  It might be slightly creepy but hopefully it makes people feel a little better!

No comments:

Post a Comment