Friday, April 15, 2011

High School Part II

Today I returned to my long term high school biology and physics teacher position.  The teacher is having a second surgery so I'll be in for one more week.  I'm crossing my fingers that this might be my last subbing gig before transitioning to my summer job.

This is the deal: the teacher had surgery today, April vacation is next week, and I'll be in for her the entire week of the 25th.  She left me lesson plans and activities and since this is the ecology chapter she has left me lots of room to improvise (yay!).  It should be super fun to teach one of my favorite subjects and I can be more enthusiastic about how cool it is than I was for genetics.

I think most of the students were happy to have me back.  I'm pretty sure I overheard one girl complaining right outside the door, "I didn't know she was coming back!  Ugh, I can't believe we have to have her again... (blah blah blah)"  I don't think I ever had a problem with this particular girl so it's a little weird that she apparently hates me.  Oh well.  Her problem!  The girl in physics that I had a big problem with, G, was definitely not excited to see me.  She asked in class whether I would be their sub for the whole week after break and I said yes.  Her face was stony, flat, unimpressed.  Again - oh well!  The feeling is mutual, G, trust me.

The biology students had to graph the population number of deer in a particular preserve over time and I was shocked at the students' lack of graphing skills.  I kid you not, they simply wrote the years on one axis and the corresponding population sizes on the other axis and plotted the points (this is after asking me which axis is which).  This results in a straight line.  I've been subbing in almost every grade level and these kids have absolutely no excuse.  They have learned to graph, I've seen it, I've probably taught it at some point.  How do you get to your sophomore year of high school and not understand simple graphing???  So I had to explain how to create intervals on the axes, why these intervals increase evenly (in 2s, 5s, 10s, etc) and why they can't simply write down the years from the data set.  There are some truly dumb people in this world.  There.  I said it.  Sad but true.

On a different note, it seems that the tanning spree has begun.  Several girls in school were nice and brownish orange today.  Almost no students wore a jacket to school even though it was a lovely 36 degrees this morning.  A kid walking into school in front of me had a t-shirt on and was carrying a red bull in one hand and a Powerade in the other.  Oh my.

No comments:

Post a Comment