Monday, February 7, 2011

What's Hot and What's Not

Since I had such an easy day as an 8th grade Social Studies teacher I figure I'll depart from my normal ranting and raving and list What's Hot and What's Not for 8th grade students in 2011.

What's Hot
Victoria's Secret "LOVE PINK" sweatshirts
Hollister and Aeropostale (especially if the brand name is plastered onto a t-shirt)
Side ponytails
Plain braces (I haven't seen any crazy colored rubber bands yet!)
Ugg style boots for ladies, DC shoes for men
Leggings and sweatpants, especially if there are words/brand names on the butt
Trapper Keepers (they're still cool!)
Plastic wristbands that say "Save the Ta-Tas" (or any other support group, but no more Livestrong)
iPods and smartphones - texting

What's Not
Note: I'm basing this on what I haven't seen in class, not on the kids I assume are dorky.
Jeans and other types of pants - the overwhelming selection is for sweatpants and leggings
Hair poufs/bumps
Folders that have cartoon and movie characters on them
Backpacks - a lady uses a shoulder bag, of course, and gentlemen are far too brawny to be seen using a book-carrying device
Appropriate winter clothing - the North Face fleece jacket rules this winter, although it provides no shelter from the elements

I swear, my children will wear hats and gloves to school.  On the absolute coldest day this winter I witnessed high school kids walking in to school with a fleece jacket and nothing on their hands or head.  Not even a fashionable scarf.  Did I do that?  I think I had a pretty hefty winter jacket when I was in high school.  Then again, we also carried backpacks and didn't have cell phones to distract us.  Even with technology the kids still love to pass notes - it's nice to see that tradition persevere.

No comments:

Post a Comment