Monday, November 22, 2010

Excellent

A teacher is out this entire half-week before Thanksgiving so last night I got a call from the sub coordinator asking about my availability for Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday.  I made my Thanksgiving flight plans a long time ago when I had no job prospects for November so I'm flying home on Wednesday morning at a ridiculously early hour.  The coordinator was looking for someone to take this teacher's three days but I told her I could only do two of them.  She moved on to call other people.  I guess she didn't find anyone because I got a call this morning at 6am and she asked if I could do both today and tomorrow.  Of course I said yes.

I thought it would be really nice to be in the same classroom two days in a row and this particular teacher works at what is quickly becoming my favorite school.  I was in the neighboring 5th grade classroom last week Monday and today I recognized many of the kids.  The teachers team teach the 5th grade so I had four groups of kids come through for science class.  I also had a group of "homeroom" kids who were with me for the start and end of the day as well as reading and science classes.

Some of the kids did recognize me from last week.  Last Monday everyone was really great and I think it carried over to today.  I had practically no problems whatsoever.  Each class focused, completed their homework, and listened to me.  I barely had to speak to anyone about noise.  Only a few kids spoke out of turn.  It was an excellent day.  Excellent.

I think tomorrow will be just as good.  I can tell that the kids feel comfortable in my room.  It appears that the other teachers are very strict with them.  The teacher I subbed for last week was next door to me and she was constantly yelling at the kids about noise.  That's the one thing I really noticed today - the teachers really focus on noise and talking.  I don't mind a little chatter during class as long as the work gets done but these teachers want silence at all times.  It seems a little stifling to me.  It's hard to remember what 5th grade was like.  Was my class really noisy?  Were we asked to be silent at all times?

I'm sure I was an angelic student who never made noise :).

No comments:

Post a Comment