Friday, May 6, 2011

Another Day In Spanish Class

I was pretty disappointed to hear that I'd be in the same Spanish class for a second day in a row.  I knew that if she didn't have great plans for me the first day, the second day would probably be worse.  I was right.

The teacher had assigned things like this, "Answer the following questions in English: what are your favorite foods?  What do people in Spanish speaking countries eat?  Write down a typical breakfast, lunch, and dinner for your family."  What kind of assignment is that???  No seventh grader is going to take that seriously, and very few did.  I thought maybe the kids only have Spanish once a week so I might have different classes but no, I had to take on the same group of unruly 7th graders two days in a row.

The lovely 12/13 year olds decided to discuss their virginity (which they've already lost).  One boy was explaining that he wanted to sleep with a girl so he lied about his virginity so she'd feel more comfortable.  I had to swoop over several times to try and stop these conversations but they just didn't listen.  Sometimes I wonder if I should just kick these kids out of the classroom.  I never do because I don't feel like they've done anything worthy of being kicked out, they just need to shut their mouths.

The one positive is that the school administrators didn't have me take on other classes during my prep periods.  Wednesday I had to cover an English class during my one prep period but yesterday the teacher had three preps in a row so I got to finish my book (finally!).  I'm not subbing today because I'm meeting with my former bosses to discuss whether I'll be returning to my summer job again.  Cross fingers and toes in the hope that they're willing to pay me what I need to survive!

No comments:

Post a Comment